I'm an experienced software engineer, architect, and engineering manager with a proven track record of delivering enterprise-scale web applications. I specialize in backend and API development, microservices architecture, and high scalability/high availability solutions. I take pride in my ability to distill technically complex solutions into actionable cost/benefit analyses, grooming backlogs toward the highest possible business value.
I am passionate about building great products with seamless user experiences. I'm really looking forward to joining or building an amazing team that shares these values, and building the kinds of products that people will come to rely on and love.
In my free time, I dive into cooking, food science, and music. Ask me about smoking meat, making cheese, the perfect soft-boiled egg, or that time I nursed a rescued kitten back to health.
Microservices architecture, Distributed systems, Software and systems architecture, Tech strategy
Technical Project Management
Engineering management, Risk management, project scoping, Timeline estimation,
Roadmap planning, User experience design, Requirements gathering
Git, TDD, BDD, Scrum, KanBan
Flask, Express, Click, Rails, Sinatra, Symfony, JQuery
MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis, MongoDB
Linux/CLI, Apache, NGINX, Tomcat, Jetty
Containers & Container Orchestration
Docker, Kubernetes, Mesosphere DC/OS, Deis, OpenShift
Continuous integration, Chef, Vagrant, Jenkins
AWS, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure
High scalability, High availability, Load testing, Capacity planning
May 2017 - Present
Head of Engineering, Backend & DevOps
- Architected and implemented production APIs for real-time 3D rendering applications
- Built and managed company-wide infrastructure, deployments, and automation
- Created command-line client for APIs for developers, administration and automation
- Automated remote deployments to fleet of hardware kiosks
October 2015 – May 2017
Technical Architect, Microservices Engineering
- Subject matter expert on microservices architecture and container technologies
- Extensive research and exploratory development of mircoservice and container technologies
- Forged strategic partnerships with companies in the microservices and container space
- Worked with sales to tailor highly specialized solutions for clients in finance, government, & healthcare.
- Productized new architectures, including the Fabric Model and Router Mesh
- Collaborated in creation and delivery of microservices training programs, literature, and documentation.
- Managed second engineering hire to the Microservices Engineering department
May 2015 – September 2015
Lead Application Engineer
- Migrated entire infrastructure from colo to AWS and Docker to reduce costs and enable dynamic scaling
- Implemented continuous delivery practices
January 2013 – May 2015
Senior Software Engineer
- Pioneered agile practices at Huge.
- Team lead for multiple teams, including distributed teams.
- Worked closely with stakeholders to design technical architecture that supported both immediate and long-term product goals.
- Created custom service-oriented architecture with Symfony, combining the content of over 270 existing sites into one centralized web presence.
- Created a Solr/Lucene powered faceted search experience for a major NYC health care provider and other clients.
- Managed iOS development team.
- Staffed lean projects for maximum efficiency of resources and budget.
- Accurate budget and timeline estimations.
- Built a RESTful API with Node JS, built to support iOS and additional frontends.
September 2012 – January 2013
- Architected and implemented a complete re-build of StyleCaster.com, migrating the site from Symfony2 to Ruby on Rails, hosted on Heroku.
August 2010 – August 2012
- Technical lead for multiple clients, including RollingStone and Live Nation.
- Managed a team of 10 backend and frontend developers.
- Built multiple custom content management systems.
One Foot Productions, LLC
April 2007 – March 2008
- Developed a proprietary web based, data driven, and object oriented application used to manage live television show logistics. 90% of codebase is still in use.
Given milk, a lemon, and a tea towel, I can make three types of cheese in one day!