I'm an experienced software engineer, architect, and engineering manager with a proven track record of delivering enterprise-scale web applications. I specialize in backend and API development, microservices architecture, and high scalability/high availability solutions. I take pride in my ability to distill technically complex solutions into actionable cost/benefit analyses, grooming backlogs toward the highest possible business value.
I am passionate about building great products with seamless user experiences. I'm really looking forward to joining or building an amazing team that shares these values, and building the kinds of products that people will come to rely on and love.
In my free time, I dive into cooking, food science, and music. Ask me about smoking meat, making cheese, the perfect soft-boiled egg, or that time I nursed a rescued kitten back to health.
January 2021 - Present
Staff Software Engineer
- Embedded in the team working on Segment's Control Plane Service (CPS) and Public API (PAPI).
- Undertook key projects including making Functions API endpoints available in PAPI, deprecating and shutting down outdated services, implementing many new endpoints in CPS, and handling critical security issues.
- Led a project to ensure data deletion in compliance with GDPR and CCPA requirements.
- Rejoined the Integrations team as tech lead to spearhead the development of Developer Center, a self-service portal for partners to create and manage integrations.
Segment (acquired by Twilio)
August 2019 - December 2020
Senior Engineering Manager
- Took charge of the Functions product, previously the CTO's project, aimed at democratizing the creation of Segment integrations for partners, customers, and our professional services team.
- Successfully launched the Functions product to general availability.
- Directed the Integrations team of 8 full-time engineers, 2 contractors, and 2 high-value embedded engineers to address the critical need for improving the quality of the integrations catalog.
- Initiated Destination Actions, a new framework to improve code quality and maintainability, which became the standard for building new integrations.
February 2018 - August 2019
- Led a rapid scaling initiative for the SRE team, growing it from 6 to 45 members within 18 months to accommodate the organization's growth from 300 to 1200 engineers.Led a rapid scaling initiative for the SRE team, growing it from 6 to 45 members within 18 months to accommodate the organization's growth from 300 to 1200 engineers.
- Transitioned the team from a DevOps to an SRE model, emphasizing proactive infrastructure management and self-service tooling to enhance productivity.
- Directed the migration from Heroku to Kubernetes, involving the creation of Kubernetes clusters on AWS and the transition of every engineering team with self-service deployment tools, live training, and hands-on guidance.
- Led the implementation of a comprehensive role-based access control system, including rapid provisioning and de-provisioning, capable of supporting the onboarding of 900 new engineers.
- Initiated and led a CEO-approved Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) initiative, leveraging Flatiron School and existing WeWork resources to provide non-technical employees with opportunities to transition into engineering roles, including paid leave for full-time training and guaranteed L2 engineering roles upon graduation.
May 2017 - January 2018
Head of Engineering, Backend & DevOps
- Architected and implemented production APIs for real-time 3D rendering applications
- Built and managed company-wide infrastructure, deployments, and automation
- Created command-line client for APIs for developers, administration and automation
- Automated remote deployments to fleet of hardware kiosks
October 2015 – May 2017
Technical Architect, Microservices Engineering
- Subject matter expert on microservices architecture and container technologies
- Extensive research and exploratory development of mircoservice and container technologies
- Forged strategic partnerships with companies in the microservices and container space
- Worked with sales to tailor highly specialized solutions for clients in finance, government, & healthcare.
- Productized new architectures, including the Fabric Model and Router Mesh
- Collaborated in creation and delivery of microservices training programs, literature, and documentation.
- Managed second engineering hire to the Microservices Engineering department
January 2013 – May 2015
Senior Software Engineer
- Pioneered agile practices at Huge.
- Team lead for multiple teams, including distributed teams.
- Worked closely with stakeholders to design technical architecture that supported both immediate and long-term product goals.
- Created custom service-oriented architecture with Symfony, combining the content of over 270 existing sites into one centralized web presence.
- Created a Solr/Lucene powered faceted search experience for a major NYC health care provider and other clients.
September 2012 – January 2013
- Architected and implemented a complete re-build of StyleCaster.com, migrating the site from Symfony2 to Ruby on Rails, hosted on Heroku.
August 2010 – August 2012
- Technical lead for multiple clients, including RollingStone and Live Nation.
- Managed a team of 10 backend and frontend developers.
- Built multiple custom content management systems.
One Foot Productions, LLC
April 2007 – March 2008
- Developed a proprietary web based, data driven, and object oriented application used to manage live television show logistics. 90% of codebase is still in use.
Given milk, a lemon, and a tea towel, I can make three types of cheese in one day!